At Horizon Surveys we are Certified Domestic Energy Assessors (CertDEA) and are accredited by ECMK to carry out Energy Performance Certificates on domestic properties. 

EPCs explained

Why do I need an EPC?


Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are needed whenever a property is built, sold or rented. The person selling or letting a property must produce a valid EPC as soon as possible before a property is marketed. Should you need an EPC on your property, you must appoint an accredited energy assessor to carry out the assessment and produce the certificate.

What does an EPC contain?

An EPC is a legally valid document that contains information about a property’s energy use and typical energy costs with recommendations about how to reduce energy use and save money. An EPC gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and is valid for 10 years.

What happens during an energy assessment?

An energy assessor will visit your property to carryout out a physical assessment. They will collect data including rooms dimensions, insulation, heating systems and glazing. This will be documented as both written and photographic evidence. The assessment is non-invasive and will not cause any damage to your property and usually takes between 30 mins to 1 hour on a typical property.

Search for a property’s EPC

You can look at an EPC for your own property or for other properties free of charge, enabling you to compare your home’s energy performance with that of similar homes. You can search for a certificate by postcode, street name and town, or certificate number.

For more information, please see the government website: